Albendazole is indicated in single and mixed infestations of-
- Enterobius vermicularis
- Trichuris trichuria
- Ascaris lumbricoides
- Ancylostoma duodenale
- Necator americanus
- Taenia spp.
- Strongyloides stercoralis.
Adults & children over 2 years:
- 400 mg (1 tablet or 10 ml suspension) as a single dose in cases of Enterobius vermicularis, Trichuris trichiura, Ascaris lumbricoides, Ancylostoma duodenale and Necator americanus.
- In cases of strongyloidiasis or taeniasis, 400 mg (1 tablet or 10 ml suspension) daily should be given for 3 consecutive days. If the patient is not cured on follow-up after three weeks, a second course of treatment is indicated.
Children of 1-2 years: Recommended dose is a single dose of 200 mg (5 ml suspension).
Children under 1 year: Not recommended.
In Hydatid disease (Echinococcosis):
- Albendazole is given by mouth with meals in a dose of 400 mg twice daily for 28 days for patients weighing over 60 kg.
- A dose of 15 mg/kg body weight daily in two divided doses (to a maximum total daily dose of 800 mg) is used for patients weighing less than 60 kg.
- For cystic echinococcosis, the 28 days course may be repeated after 14 days without treatment, to a total of 3 treatment cycles.
- For alveolar echinococcosis, cycles of 28 days of treatment followed by 14 days without treatment, may need to continue for months or years.
- In giardiasis, 400 mg (1 tablet or 10 ml suspension) once daily for five days is used.