Roll over image to zoom in
Click to open expanded view
Albendazole- 400 mg Tablet/pcs
Generic Name: Albendazole
Therapeutic class: Anti-anthelmintics (Antiparasite Preparations)
Manufacturer: Essential Drugs Company Ltd
Note: চিকিৎসকের পরামর্শ মোতাবেক ঔষধ সেবন করুন
Albendazole is indicated in single and mixed infestations of-
- Enterobius vermicularis
- Trichuris trichuria
- Ascaris lumbricoides
- Ancylostoma duodenale
- Necator americanus
- Taenia spp.
- Strongyloides stercoralis.
Adults & children over 2 years:
- 400 mg (1 tablet or 10 ml suspension) as a single dose in cases of Enterobius vermicularis, Trichuris trichiura, Ascaris lumbricoides, Ancylostoma duodenale and Necator americanus.
- In cases of strongyloidiasis or taeniasis, 400 mg (1 tablet or 10 ml suspension) daily should be given for 3 consecutive days. If the patient is not cured on follow-up after three weeks, a second course of treatment is indicated.
Children of 1-2 years: Recommended dose is a single dose of 200 mg (5 ml suspension).
Children under 1 year: Not recommended.
In Hydatid disease (Echinococcosis):
- Albendazole is given by mouth with meals in a dose of 400 mg twice daily for 28 days for patients weighing over 60 kg.
- A dose of 15 mg/kg body weight daily in two divided doses (to a maximum total daily dose of 800 mg) is used for patients weighing less than 60 kg.
- For cystic echinococcosis, the 28 days course may be repeated after 14 days without treatment, to a total of 3 treatment cycles.
- For alveolar echinococcosis, cycles of 28 days of treatment followed by 14 days without treatment, may need to continue for months or years.
- In giardiasis, 400 mg (1 tablet or 10 ml suspension) once daily for five days is used.
A few cases of gastrointestinal discomfort and headache have been reported, but no definite relationship with the drug has been shown.
Pregnancy & Lactation
US FDA Pregnancy category of Albendazole is C. So, Albendazole should be avoided in pregnancy and lactation unless the potential benefits to the other outweigh the possible risks to the fetus.
Precautions & Warnings
It should be discontinued in all patients, if clinically significant decreases in blood cell counts occur.
Keep in a dry place, away from light and heat. Keep out of the reach of children.
There are no reviews yet.