Biocef – 250 mg Capsule/pcs
- Brand: SANDOZ (A Novartis Division)
Generic Name: Cefaclor
Therapeutic class: Cephalosporins (Penicillins and Cephalosporins)
Manufacturer: SANDOZ (A Novartis Division)
Cefaclor is indicated in the treatment of the following infections: Otitis media, Lower respiratory tract infections, including pneumonia, bronchitis and acute exacerbation of chronic bronchitis, Upper respiratory tract infections, including pharyngitis and tonsillitis, Urinary tract infections, including pyelonephritis and cystitis, Skin and soft tissue infections, Sinusitis
Dosage & Administration
- Usual dose: 250 mg 8 hrly.
- Bronchitis & pneumonia: 250 mg tid.
- Sinusitis: 500 mg tid for 10 days.
- Pneumonia & other more severe infections: Max: 4 gm/day for 28 days.
- Acute gonococcal urethritis: 3 gm as a single dose combined with probenecid 1 gm.
- Recommended dose: 20 mg/kg/day in divided doses 8 hrly.
- Bronchitis & pneumonia: 20 mg/kg/day in divided doses tid.
- Serious infections, sinusitis, otitis media & infections: caused by less susceptible organisms 40 mg/kg/day in divided doses. Max: 1 gm/day.
Gastro-intestinal: Diarrhoea, nausea and vomiting have been reported. Hypersensitivity: Allergic reactions such as eruptions, pruritis and urticaria have been observed. These reactions usually subside upon discontinuation of therapy. Serum sickness like reactions have been reported.
Haematological: Eosinophilia, thrombocytopenia, transient lymphocytosis and leucopenia may occur rarely. Hepatic: Transient hepatitis and cholestatic jaundice, slight elevation in AST, ALT or alkaline phosphate values have been reported rarely.
Renal: Reversible interstitial nephritis has occurred rarely, also slight elevations in blood urea or serum creatinine or abnormal urinalysis.
Central Nervous System: Reversible hyperactivity, nervousness, confusion, hypertonia, dizziness, hallucinations and somnolence have been reported rarely.
Pregnancy & Lactation
Precautions & Warnings
Symptoms: Nausea, vomiting, epigastric distress and diarrhoea would be anticipated.
Treatment: Unless 5 times the normal total daily dose has been ingested, gastrointestinal decontamination will not be necessary. General management may consist of supportive therapy.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.