Diphenhydramine is indicated for the treatment of followings:
- Seasonal, perennial, vasomotor rhinitis
- Urticaria, angioneurotic oedema, anaphylaxis
- Pruiritic conditions
- Premedication for emesis and motion sickness
- Miscellaneous like meniere’s disease and parkinsonism
- Most allergic conditions: 25-50 mg three times a day with a further 50 mg at night.
- 1 to 5 years of age: 5 mg i.e., 2.5 ml of elixir 4 times a day
- More than 6 years of age: 10 mg i.e. 5 ml of elixir 4 times a day
Pregnancy & Lactation
Precautions & Warnings
Symptoms: Impaired consciousness; psychosis, seizures, antimuscarinic symptoms (e.g. mydriasis, tachycardia, tachyarrhythmias), resp failure, rhabdomyolysis; acute delirium with visual and auditory hallucination (topical).
Management: Supportive and symptomatic treatment. Convulsions and marked CNS stimulation may be treated with IV diazepam.