Valarux – 1 gm Tablet/pcs
- Brand: Opsonin Pharma Ltd
Generic Name: Valaciclovir
Therapeutic class: Herpes Antiviral (Systemic Antiviral)
Manufacturer: Opsonin Pharma Ltd
Valacyclovir is indicated for the treatment of Herpes zoster (shingles). It is indicated for the treatment or suppression of genital herpes in immuno-competent individuals and for the suppression of recurrent genital herpes in HIV infected individuals. It is also indicated for the treatment of cold sores (Herpes labialis).
Dosage & Administration
Cold Sores: 2 grams every 12 hours for 1 day
- Initial episode: 1 gram twice daily for 10 days
- Recurrent episodes: 500 mg twice daily for 3 days Suppressive therapy
- Immunocompetent patients: 1 gram once daily
- Alternate dose in patients with < 9 recurrences/year: 500 mg once daily
- HIV-infected patients: 500 mg twice daily
- Reduction of transmission: 500 mg once daily
Herpes Zoster: 1 gram 3 times daily for 7 days
- Cold Sores (> 12 years of age): 2 grams every 12 hours for 1 day
- Chickenpox (2 to < 18 years of age): 20 mg/kg 3 times daily for 5 days; not to exceed 1 gram 3 times daily
Pregnancy & Lactation
Pregnancy category B. Valacyclovir was not teratogenic in rats or rabbits at 10 and 7 times human plasma levels, respectively, during the period of major organogenesis. There is no adequate and well-controlled studies of valacyclovir in pregnant women.
Nursing Mothers: Unchanged valacyclovir was not detected in maternal serum, breast milk, or infant urine. Valacyclovir should be administered to a nursing mother with caution and only when indicated.
Precautions & Warnings
Use in Special Populations
Pediatric Use: Safety and effectiveness of valacyclovir in pre-pubertal pediatric patients have not been established.
Elderly Use (Over 65 yr.): Elderly patients may require a dose reduction of valacyclovir due to a low body weight or disorders (renal, CNS etc.) associated with aging.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.